Most surgery is straightforward, but the time immediately following your procedure is critical for successful healing.
We will provide you with full instructions for post-treatment care. Meanwhile, here are some things you’ll want to keep in mind:
- Apply cold compresses every five to ten minutes on the surgical site to control the pain and swelling.
- Stay on a soft food diet for four to five days after the surgery. Some examples of soft foods are mashed potatoes, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, and macaroni. After five days, you can start to ease your way back to your usual diet.
- Avoid foods that are too spicy, too hot, or too cold.
- Avoid spitting or creating any pressure inside your mouth as it may cause bleeding at the site of operation or extraction.
- Avoid blowing your nose as it may create vacuum and pressure in your oral cavity and may cause bleeding.
- If antibiotics are prescribed, make sure you take them as directed until they're gone. You should be able to find relief from discomfort with over-the-counter pain relievers.
When to Call Us
Of course, you are always welcome to call us, but here are some instances where we want to be informed about what's going on:
- In cases where the bleeding hasn't stopped for more than two hours, apply pressure at the site of bleeding by biting on gauze. If the bleeding is profuse, please call our office. If we are closed, visit the emergency room for help.
- If you have fever or chills, please contact our office. If you feel dizzy or light-headed, please call 911. You may lay down and raise your feet above your head level to increase the blood flow to your upper body and head.
- Some swelling is normal after a surgical procedure or tooth extraction. If the swelling spreads farther than the original site, please contact our office or visit the emergency room, especially if the swelling has moved past your jawline.
If you have stitches that have come out, please see us at our office at the earliest available time.
Please Call Hollywood Smile Dental for More Information
If you have any other questions or concerns, don't ever hesitate to call us at (718) 830- 0110.